Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The chosen island

Today, went across Lake Victoria to a remote part of Uganda with another missions team. First we walked through a market area by the docks and tried jack fruit, which is much like a bumpy watermelon on the outside and like a sweet pineapple/mango with a rubbery texture on the inside. Yum!

Then, we trekked down a steep rock wall into a wooden boat with a motor. There were 12 people on board. It was a peaceful ride with beautiful views of the land and birds. When we neared the land, we rode through a narrow and long passageway of water foliage overgrowth. Our motor went out, but thankfully we were close to the dock.

Once on land, we rode boda-bodas (small motorcycles) several miles to the school yard. As you can see in the pictures, the school is primitive. They use a wheel core for a school bell. The classes are made up of movable wooden benches and a chalkboard on the wall. But, the children are beautiful, polite, and loving. I liked their little lunch buckets. I am pretty sure the little boy in the tiger hoodie (keep in mind it was over 80degrees) was pretty scared of us strange white people who dance silly dances like the hokey pokey!

We took a walk and saw much more traditional living than we have seen before now.

Our missionary friends are raising the funds to move to the island and start a medical clinic. Please pray that God provides for them to be able to soon move to that location and love on these precious, beautiful people!

Isaiah 41:5,9-10
The islands have seen it (Jeaus) and fear; the ends of the earth tremble. They approach and come forward;

I took you from the ends of the earth, from the farthest corners I called you. I said, "You are my servant"; I have chosen you and have not rejected you. So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you guys had a great time on the Island. I'm so happy you guys got to go with Steve's team! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete