Thursday, February 2, 2012

Beautiful feet

We spent time at Hope children's home on Thursday, which is more rural than where we have been so far. Needless to say, I scrubbed much dirt off my feet that night!

My dear friend sent me the verse from Isaiah 52:7 "How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation, who say to Zion, "Your God reigns!"

When reading this verse and reflecting on the scenes of severe poverty as we would see it in America and even thinking about my very dirty feet, I am so thankful that God doesn't see beauty the same way I do. The children at Hope are beautiful, not because of the clothes they wear or the bows in their hair but because they are loved by God. He doesn't see them as "beautiful someday when....". He sees them as beautiful now.

One part of this trip that I didn't foresee is how many people I would meet with beautiful feet! There are 3 women here volunteering at the babies home right now. One is a girl from Germany who has just finished high school and is spending 6 months here before she starts university. She says it is normal for the boys of Germany to spend a year in the army and the girls volunteer a year. She raised funds to come by working two jobs and singing with her guitar in the market.

Another is a lady from New Zealand who has her first grandbaby on the way back home. She came with a mission team, but knew when it was time for the group to leave that she needed to stay longer. She I here for the rest of February.

The last woman is a single and my age. She has been coming to the babies home from Britain for 8 years. She always spends 2 months and absolutely loves the children.

Also, I met a woman from Canada who is on her 4th trip here. She started coming to volunteer at a local hospital at the age of 79. She says this might be her last trip here because she thinks she is old enough now she should stay home and behave herself. :)

A class of high schoolers from Kampala came to volunteer at the babies home. They told us they have to have 150 hours of community service before graduation.

Another man in his 50's who is a pilot for British Air comes to love on the children each time he flies into Kampala. His specialty is playing his accordion for them.

As I reflect on these people and their dedication to serve, I think there is much to be gained from the reminder that serving the Lord is true beauty. I also admire the fact that this service is a requirement of loving Jesus that people around the world are hearing and obeying.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful indeed. We are off to pick up some beautiful feet in the bus. We do miss you soooo much.

    ReplyDelete